lunes, 3 de mayo de 2010

English is fun!!

I started my lesson at the school with two sessions per week with every group, one “formal” session and another “informal” one. Last week I decided that all my lessons would be “informal”...songs, small dialogs to perform in class, games...

All the kids of Junior and Senior High school have already the usual lesson with their teachers so doing the same myself were not going to be anything new for them. They are not used at all to play in class so at the beginning it was difficult to make them active in the games (mainly in plays and drama activities). After a while the lessons are fun, a great time for them and for me.


The teachers sometimes might think I am crazy though. I have been trying to talk to them about methodology and other much more effective ways for teaching than the traditional “grammar-translation method”...this is boring for all the levels but for elementary it is a totally useless method.
Some of them are very looking forward to meet me always, to come with me to the lessons, to see me doing the monkey and to participate with all of us but the reality is that not all are willing to change their mind and methodology. I am scared sometimes that after I leave all the material I brought will be used only as spider’s house and dust store...let’s hope the change is coming, although little by little.

I have to say that the support of Pastor Frans is very important. He cares every detail of the school and asks me continuously about my work and feedbacks, I like to think he will insist to the teachers to change the list of vocabulary and grammar using this material.
Terima kasi, Amurang.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario